Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on home wiring

I'd not want to do that. Later electricians will find mauve, purple, fuscia
and olive wires. And not know which one is hot, or neutral. For the one time
expense, I'd suggest to buy new wire, and stick to the accepted colors for
hot, ground, and neutral.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I would like to run some new outlets in my garage. There is
currently a subpanel located there, the run will be fairly short. I
have a section of armored cable which was left over from work at my
office that I'd like to use. I'm thinking of using a setup which I
have seen used in other houses, but want to run past you first.

The armored cable has two 10-gauge (white & gray), 4 12-gauge
"hots" (various colors), and two 12-gauge grounds. I'd like to use
it to run 4 20-amp circuits. Circuits A and B would come off of
opposite phases, and share one of the neutrals and one of the
grounds. C and D would be run similarly. That way, neither neutral
would ever carry more than 20 amps.

I know that I would never exceed rated ampacity for any conductor,
but I do not know the NEC well enough to say whether that will meet
current code or not. Anybody want to chime in?