Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Using Home Wiring for Carrying Audio

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:37:59 -0800 (PST), Lee wrote:

Many years ago I believe I heard of a means to connect stereo speakers
to an amplifier/tuner by use of home electrical wiring as the speaker
wire. As I recall, there was some kind of interface device that
connected a wall outlet to the amplifier and another that connected
the speakers to wall outlets which allowed for easy placement/movement
of speakers without the need for specialized wires for connecting
them.
I have searched and searched and find nothing that refers to such a
means of connecting speakers.
Was this an idea that just didn't work, or am I not using the correct
search terminology?
Thanks for your advice. Lee

The powerline versions suffered from noise and only so-so frequency
response.

There are wireless versions now that are pretty good. Not audiophile
grade, but fine for most folks. But stick with high-end units, the
cheap stuff is pretty bad. Search for wireless speakers. You will
need power to each speaker though.

HTH,

Paul F.