Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:14:01 -0000, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Then use the new type of NiMH, the pre-charged ones which don't lose
power sat on the shelf. Take them out the packet and they are as good as
alkalines. Only keep them for a fraction of their life if you want a
nice long charge, and put them in a trickle charger when not in use.

There are three problems with them. The first is that they are supplied
charged, but only about 80% charged.

I wasn't aware of that, although 80% sounds pretty good to me. You can always fill them before use (which is what we always used to do with the old type).

While they take longer to discharge
on their own, if they sit on the shelf for a year or so, they very well
may be flat.

The manufacturers claim they only lose 10% in a year.

The second is that they do not reach their full capacity when recharged
until they have been through 3 or 4 recharge cycles. I have found with
the ones I bought it took even longer, sometimes 10 cycles to get
any useful life out of them.

Odd, I've bought Eneloop and Hybrio and had nothing but perfection.

The third is that they have a higher internal resistance which limits their
output current. That is why the rechargeable alkelines that came out around
1995 never really took off. They were lower in capacity to the disposable
ones (about 80%) to allow room for expansion, and they did not put out
the current that nicads or regular alkelines did.

If you're using them in something that needs a high output current, I dread to think how much it's costing you in alkalines.

They also do not charge as fast. I charge mine in a 7 hour NiMH charger,
but have to do it twice. Using the little fixed rate charger that came
with a set, I have to charge then for at least 24 hours.

How long?!?!? I bought a Uniross FIFTEEN MINUTE charger. It charges them in 15 minutes *using a cooling fan) to 80%, then the final 20% in another 15 minutes.

"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."