Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Woodturning, is it off topic here?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 9:20:48 -0600, Arch wrote
(in message ):

If it's still ok for this ng, I'd like to bring up for discussion some
topics that might be related to woodturning.

snip topics where I could show my complete ignorance, and move on to what I
know, cheapskatedness...

Have any of you fellow cheapskates extended the shaft of a short pepper
mill mechanism to make a tall 'show off' mill? I did and it took more
time and trouble than paying the exorbitant price of a new one.

being a tinkerer in metal - among other things, a number of methods come to
mind for extending that pepper mill shaft, each requiring some effort and
fussing about, but none particularly troublesome. Part of the calculus in
this little problem, I guess, is how you value your time, do you get your
ya-yas from tinkering, like I do, and how many of these units do you want to
make? You are asking a fun kind of question, and I am analyzing it way too
much. Sorry, can't help it. Maybe instead of a long shaft on the mill, why
not a really ostentatious and fancy really tall knob attached to the "stock"
short shaft?
I've had
no luck in removing and reusing the plastic grinding mechanisms on
'built in grinder' bottles of pepper, but hope springs eternal for
cheapskates.

I had similar results with a built-in grinder on a "sea salt" bottle. uffda.

It is snowing pretty heavily, right now, and am impatiently awaiting delivery
of a brandy-new chuck. (turning results/report will be forthcoming, as soon
as I have something to report)

On topic, sort of - I am going to be making a batch of krumkakke, and using a
new wooden spindle I made for this confection.

Happy holidays to one and all.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.