Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Woodturning, is it off topic here?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:20:48 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Arch.. I've only done one pepper mill, but I used the "shaftless" setup:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,250,43243

If it's still ok for this ng, I'd like to bring up for discussion some
topics that might be related to woodturning.

Sometimes I have too heavy a hand on the skew and bruise the wood so
that the finish is blotchy. I know nobody else does this, but just
thinking about it how would you remove the bruises without messing up a
delicate form?

Turning a slot in a between centers blank for holding it in expansion
chuck mode the tailstock often gets in my way. A male to female Morse
taper extension in the tail spindle helps to move it back out of the
way. Is there a better way?

Have any of you fellow cheapskates extended the shaft of a short pepper
mill mechanism to make a tall 'show off' mill? I did and it took more
time and trouble than paying the exorbitant price of a new one. I've had
no luck in removing and reusing the plastic grinding mechanisms on
'built in grinder' bottles of pepper, but hope springs eternal for
cheapskates.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac