Posted to uk.d-i-y
pete pete is offline

Default Basic Toolkit?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:59:49 -0800 (PST), wrote:
In the DIY Dunces thread, a couple of people have mentioned putting
together basic toolkits for their son or daughter.

So what is a basic toolkit? The obvious component is a large bag of
common sense, which looks to be in short supply. Beyond that, what
should there be? There are some things you would expect, like a
selection of Standard, Philips and Pozidrive screwdrivers - but the
question is, what exactly would you get - I have lots, of which I tend
to use only about three or four. Similarly, what fixings would you
include - what type of nails, screws, rawlplugs etc. If I want
chipboard screws, all I ever seem to have is woodscrews and vice
versa.

For some, the basic toolkit is a credit card and a nearby 'shed', and
a large garden shed to store all the tools you've used only once!

I did look in the uk.d-i-y wiki (possibly not hard enough) - and I
don't think there is an article on a 'Basic Toolkit' there, so perhaps
answers to this thread could eventually make it into the Wiki as a
useful article?

Cheers,

Sid

I'd be inclined to put in cheap a 12V cordless drill, plus set of screwdriver bits
and metric drillbits maybe a Tungstem-carbide tipped bit, too.
The cordless drill is much easier to use than handheld ones.
OK, they need charging, but that gives the user time to sits and consider
what they are actually planning to do.

I'd also include a lump hammer, retractable knife with snap-off blades and
a small "pull stroke" handsaw. An adjustable wrench and some pliers, too.

I wouldn't bother with nails (the lump hammer has other uses ;-), but a
good selection of various length X-head screws, nuts 'n' bolts, washers,
cable ties, tape-measure, small bullseye level and a torch. A small tube
of polyurethane adhesive, some araldite and a roll of tape.
Last of all would be some clamps, a pair of thick gloves and a box of plasters.