Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Heating on all the time cheaper than off at night rumour

"chris French" wrote in message
There seems to be floating about among some people I know online the
idea that keeping the central heating on all the time is cheaper

than
turning it off at night. Not sure where it comes from, but seeing as
they all frequent the same/ related e-mail lists, maybe from there.

The basic idea seems to be that it costs more to heat the house

back up
in the morning, than to keep it at the same temp.

now I know it depends on things like internal and external temp (we

have
a programmable stat set at 12-13 C, it hardly seems to turn on

except
when down to about freezing outside from what I can tell),

But in principle it seems rubbish, it must use more energy to keep
something hot, than to let it cool and then reheat., but a couple of
people had been hard to convince, esp. as a 'plumber told me it)

Or is my brain addled?? :-)
--
Chris French

Yes - it's a load of tommyrot - obviously more energy used keeping it
hot all the time.

Now I did work in an oil refinery where if they let the pipes cool it
got very expensive, as the tarry gunge set solid, never to move again

AWEM