Posted to uk.d-i-y
Merryterry Merryterry is offline

Default Air lock in main water pipe

On 18 Dec, 23:31, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:47:32 +0000, Ian wrote:
How do these air locks come about and how do they cause flow problems?

By blocking the pipe...

Your odd one, maybe there was a pressure reduction overnight when you
wouldn't notice that drew air into the system some how or air from repairs
elsewhere found it's way up to you. The turning on/off of the stop cock
I've been asked to do as well. It took quite a bit of "please listen to
what I am saying not what you expect me to say" to convince the CS
teletubbie that air was being sucked *into* the mains quite fast not that
I had no water or air was coming out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Try using a syphon to equalize the pressure from both sides? Get a
length of hose pipe long enough to go from the tank to the taps. Have
a tap/hose connector handy at the tap end. Stick the other end of the
hose in the tank and fix it there. Go to the tap end and suck to start
a syphone. When the water is flowing fix the hose to the tap using the
hose connector and open the tap. The water will try to reach the tank
level in the pipe and may dislodge the air or sludge. Might work?