Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:15:41 -0500, wrote:

Up until a few years ago it was illegal to park a "commercial vehicle"
forward of the building line anywhere on a residential property in
Kitchener Ontario.

However, that bylaw got changed when it was proven unenforceable.
What constitutes a "commercial vehicle"? In years past ALL pickup
trucks were required to have the owner's name on them in Ontario. They
were all registered as commercial vehicles. Now names are no longer
required and they can be registered for personal use.

Wow. You should check out Texas, where all kinds of people drive
pickups, many for no apparent reason.

I live in a middle income townhouse n'hood. By now, it may be lower
middle income. But one guy drove a van, a panel truck, with his
company's name and phone number on the two front doors. And some of
the n'bors didn't like it. Did they have jobs any better than his?

He was a surveyor. A real one, not a surveyor's helper. Doesn't that
take quite a bit of training, and pay pretty well?

I finally solved the problem, at the HOA meeting. I suggested he get
a plain white -- his truck was white -- magnetic sheet, and cover the
writing on the doors when he got home at night. It was so stupid. I
wanted to tell the complainers how stupid I thought it was, but hey, I
have to live near these people.

Still not supposed to park a moving van. tow-truck, livestock
carrier, etc in front of the house, but vans, pickups, and SUVs are
now allowed.