Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

BobW wrote:
Do you have any info that indicates that they can't put out as much current
and/or have higher internal resistance (over time) compared with alkalines?

Sorry, I said two different things in the same paragraph and may have created
some confusion.

First the slow self-discharge rechargable batteries have a higher internal
resistance and lower output current than the "regular" ones of the same
chemistry.

Therefore "slow" NiMH batteries have a higher internal resistance, lower
output current and longer recharge times than regual NiMH batteries.

"Slow" alkeline batteries have a higher internal resistance, lower
output current and longer recharge times than regular alkeline batteries.

I mentioned the alkeline ones as their high internal resistance was a
deal killer for me. I could not use on HT's (handheld radios). They worked
fine with 1 watt output (low power), but on high power (3-4 watts), they
failed.

Going back to the NiMH batteries, I can't say how well they will hold up
over time. I only use them on MP3 players that take a single AAA battery.
So far it has not been good, the first batch to almost 10 cycles to
have any usefull capacity. It may also have been my fault, because I
charged them with the included charger which needed 24 hours or more
to charge them.

The second batch has been charged only with a higher current charger and
they seem fine.

Note that the players are low current devices, they discharge at about a
rate of 100ma or less.

I have been using the Hybrio hybrid batteries in a Canon SX100IS digital
camera for about a year now and I haven't noticed anything problematic about
them. They last a LONG time without any special conditioning. I use a Maha
MH-C401FS charger (set to 'slow').

I've used alkalines in several different cameras and have had horrible
results with them.

All alkelines have a higher internal resistance, which is probably why you
have the problem with them. If you are a camera buff, that was one of the
two differences between the Canon T-90 and EOS-1. The T-90 used AA batteries,
the EOS used lithium. Canon was unable to get the current they needed for
all of the electronics in the camera from AA batteries.

Geoff.