Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
David L. Jones David L. Jones is offline

Default Fluke DMM recommendations?

On Dec 19, 5:36 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:16:13 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:
In article .net,
DaveC wrote:
But it must be Fluke (tried a good Chinese
meter but found couldn't adjust to its design quirks)

Think you'll find the Fluke *is* a Chinese meter...;-)

All of my Flukes, including my very nice new 8845A, say
"made in USA."

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/MadeInUSA.JPG

Are any of their low-end things actually Chinese?

The Fluke Chinese "market test" started with the experimental Fluke 19
released in the Asia Pacific market. Used the same chipset as the 87
at the time, and offered unbelievable value for money. It was too good
to be true, most Fluke 19's failed with all sorts of problems.
They learned a few things from that and the 110 series is now a lot
better, but still made in China.

They 170, 80, and higher models are all still made in the US last I
checked. Fluke have been careful to keep their Chinese meters separate
from their US made meter range. Only the US meters have the lifetime
warranty.

Dave.