Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
David L. Jones David L. Jones is offline

Default Fluke DMM recommendations?

On Dec 19, 4:03 am, DaveC wrote:
Have been using Fluke 73 and 77 handhelds in the field with good results. But
for Christmas I think I'd really like a backlit display under certain
conditions.

I see that the 87 is a common model. How many rev's have there been? It's now
87-V. What's the difference between all of revs? (I might go for a used one,
so I'd like to know how they differ...)

Not much difference between the models. Improved accuracy is the main
thing, and LCD displays have gotten better (bigger digits, better
contrast, better backlight).
The latest 87-V has a slightly different "look" to previous models.

Other models? I don't need any fancy features such as frequency or duty
cycle, just basic VOA and maybe C. But it must be Fluke (tried a good Chinese
meter but found couldn't adjust to its design quirks), LCD, backlit, and use
common batteries (no proprietaries). 3.5 digit is OK.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Testimonials?

Stick with either the 70, 170, or 80 series.
Do not touch the big 'data logger" 189 model, they are power hogs and
chew batteries in no time. Don't know about the new 289.

There is big market for used items on Ebay. Some good bargains to be
had.

Dave.