Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Woodturning, is it off topic here?

Arch wrote:

If it's still ok for this ng, I'd like to bring up for discussion some
topics that might be related to woodturning.

Sometimes I have too heavy a hand on the skew and bruise the wood so
that the finish is blotchy. I know nobody else does this, but just
thinking about it how would you remove the bruises without messing up a
delicate form?

In Flat Work, dents, which is basically what you're calling bruising,
and is actually compressed grain - can be expanded with a damp
cloth and an iron. The steam swells the crushed grain back close
to normal.

You can exploit this crushed / swelled grain thing. Stamp a surface
with something like a leather stamp to compress the wood in a
pattern.
Plane (or turn) the wood so the resulting depression is now flush
with
the new surface. Steam the surface and the pattern will swell -
resulting in a raised pattern - embossing.