Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default condensation on metal water tank dripping onto moulding ceiling

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
In the loft today i noticed loads of dampness on a metal water tank.

At first i suspected a leak,
but now i guess it's condensation.

There used to be sawdust under it -
was that to absorb the moisture
until weather conditions changed and it evapourated again?

Theres black mould on the ceiling underneath

How can I improve things?

would a plastic tank be a lot better?

even then i guess there would be condensation
which will drip onto the ceiling and create more black mould...

how is this solved?

or have i got some theory wrong?

??? It does have insulation? Metal or plastic makes little difference to
the amount of condensation but plastic does not corrode. The black mould on
the ceiling will be due to the condensation dripping onto the plaster. There
should be no insulation under the tank so that heat rises to aid the tank
contents not to freeze. Does it have a cover?

Your comment about sawdust reminds me that that was the situation in my
father's house. Hell, it might still be like that but fortunately I've not
seen any mould below. The property is on the coast and therefore does not
suffer the extremes of temperature that we might experience inland.