Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Grout

SteveBell wrote:
Just out of idle curiosity, why grout for floor tile?

You have to fill the gaps between the tiles with something. What did
you have in mind besides grout?

Good point. What got me going on this idea was the notion that one doesn't
grout self-sticking vinyl tile!

As an experiment, I laid nine ceramic tiles (3x3' area of 1-foot tiles) in a
doorway by gluing them to the concrete slab. I couldn't slip a piece of
paper in the crack between adjacent tiles!

Nevertheless, I applied an itty-bitty seam of caulk to the almost invisible
gap just to prevent dirt or water from infiltrating the space.

It's been that way for about a year now, and still looks and functions
swell. Admittedly, this doorway doesn't get much use and I'm about ready to
repeat the treatment for a more active entrance. So I thought I'd tap the
combined wisdom of the thousands here who've messed with floor tiles more
than I.