Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY dunces?

wrote:
Dave wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:55:14 -0000, "Tim Downie"

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:15:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Most other countries were used to buying equipment with plugs fitted
for many years before it became compulsory here - but then they
probably didn't have the vast range of different ones we did. Even
after the 13 amp ring was introduced, there were at least 4 types of
non compatible plugs for that - let alone the older 2, 5 and 15amp
in both two and three pins.
I wish I had kept for interest sake a plugtop I found some years ago.

Istr that it had two round pins about the same size as the old 15amp
and an a rectangular earth pin as fitted to 13 amp plugs, or possibly
it was 2 rectangular and one round. Was a British Manufacturer and in
white plastic rather than prewar style brown Bakelite.
If it had a central hollow round pin with two flat pins offset either side
then I think that was the old Wylex mains plug.

I think they were popular in the '50s for council house installations.
I've no idea what the fuse ratings were.
I've only ever seen them in brown or black (dark!) colours. I'm pretty
certain that Woolies used to stock them on their wonderful electrical
counters... as well as my favourites, the MES batten lampholders and
tiny almost dolls-house size switches.

Wasn't there another 3-pin plug in which the live pin was a cartridge
fuse which screwed into the plug?

I can picture that, but I can't remember its name. Mind you, I'm only
62, quite a young sprog to some :-)

Somehow I've got in my mind a cartridge fuse in the earth pin...
Arghhh!

Never come across one of them, but where can I buy some of those bayonet
plugs that fitted a light socket. I would like one or two that split
into 2 outlets, one with an on off switch. Maybe Woolworths might find
some in their closing down sale :-)

Dave

Yard sales & car boots seem to be the only place to find those now.
They've been illegal to sell since about 1970. Beware of using them
with pvc flex & filament bubls, pvc doesnt tolerate being draped over
a hot bulb too well.

NT

On 2nd thoughts I remember argos recently did, and probably still do,
light fittings that come with BC plugs prefitted. The idea is you dont
need to do any electrical work, just plug the new fitting into the
lampholder of the old one. Rather pricey way to get BC plugs, but you
might find one on fleacycle.

NT