Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

"Sanity" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Zootal wrote:
Explain something to me. Someone buys a home in an HOA. Prior to
buying they are given the docs and sign a statement to abide by
them. Then all of a sudden they scream, kick and cry when one of the
regs from the docs are enforced. Please explain why that person
bought in an HOA in the first place if he didn't want to follow
their rules. Don't get me wrong, I don't like HOA's but I sure
wouldn't buy in one if I disagreed with the docs and had no
intention of following them.

Just out of curiosity - do you have the right to refuse to sign the
agreement if you buy the house? IOW, can you buy a house in one of
these HOA neighborhoods, but refuse to sign or comply?

Purchase of a home is a contract. Accepting the HOA's rules is part of the
contract. It's all or nothing.

Generally.

A covenant or rules cannot, for example, be enforced against public policy
such as "... buyer agrees to never sell the property to anyone not of the
Caucasian race..."

What's a little weird is agreeing to not only the HOA rules, but agreeing to
abide by any changes in the rules the HOA makes in the future.

That's because future rules are voted on by the membership and approved by a
majority vote.

Thanks, but no thanks.