Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

On Wed 17 Dec 2008 06:42:34a, HeyBub told us...

"[FLORIDA] The board of directors representing The Eagles, a deed
restricted community in Odessa, was trying to keep A.J. Vizzi from
parking his Ford pickup truck in his home's driveway. HOA rules state
all trucks must be parked in a garage."

Judge renders declaratory judgment in favor of truck owner, says HOA is
insane and must pay about $100,000 in legal fees. Take drug test.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/most...96159&provider
=top

I see nothing wrong with buying a home in a deed restricted community.
OTOH, buying into such a community is, as with many things, "buyer beware".
If the covenants and by-laws were provided to the buyer prior to purchase,
then it should have been clear to the buyer from the start what was
permitted and what was not. AFAIC, the HOA had every right to enforce
their rules if the homeowner had an opportunity to learn what they were
before they purchased the property. Homeowners who want to flaunt the
rules don't belong there.

To the other extreme, there are unregulated communities where yards are
filled with crap, junk cars/trucks/trailers, homes are in disrepair, and
the general tone of the neighborhood is unsavory. In many such
communities, flagrant violations of city and county code are grossly
overlooked by authorities. There is no recourse short of taking flight.

I have lived in both settings and I'm currently living in the latter. If I
were able to, I would happily and immediately move into a restricted
community with a well-organized HOA.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1wks 6hrs 6mins
How come there's only one Monopolies Commission?