Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Going away for the holidays. Good idea to turn the main watervalve in the house off?

On Dec 15, 1:54*pm, termtests wrote:
We're going through a nasty cold spell right now (-13F/-25C to
-22F/-30C) and it's expected to last for quite a while yet. *And my
coworker suggested that I turn the main water valve off in the house
before I leave in a couple of days for a vacation.

I will still have my furnace running when we leave for vacation, but I
plan on having it maintain a temperature of 60F/15C while we're away.

Is turning the main off still a good idea? *Also, should the furnace
be set at a little higher temperature while we're away when taking the
outside temperature into account? *Thanks for your time and courtesy.

OK so far everyone seems to be saying to do so, I am going to offer a
contrary opinion. Don't touch a thing.

There are many ways things can go wrong with this. The main water
valve leaks or breaks when you turn it off, or when you turn it back
on. The water heater or radiant heat is damaged when it runs while
dry. You turn the water back on when you get home forgetting that
something is open somewhere, causing a flood. Shutoff valves under a
sink or toilet start to leak when you turn them back on. What is the
chance that something like that will happen, versus the house freezing
while you are away. Yes, most of my dire scenarios can be avoided
through care and competence. On the other hand, how long will you be
away? Is there someone who could check on the house every day or so
while you're away? Is the house old with old cranky plumbing? I think
if I were going to be away for, say, a week or so, or a couple weeks
with someone checking, I would just turn the thermostat down a
little. -- H