Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Downlights - plasterboard cut outs

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
A an engineer, the rightness of a structure is that it performs its
function adequately. Neatness may or may nor feature there. Only if its
likley to be actually inspected or maintained does it matter in my book..a
rats nest of cables works, but a neat array of cable looms inspires
confidence. But if you never see it, the rats nest may be just as good.
And if its CHEAPER its BETTER engineering solution.

I would vioew that as an accountant's solution, not an engineering one. To
my mind, an engineering solution is where you design something to do a job,
with tolerances to suit the needs of the job and make it neatly to the
specification and tolerances in the design. However, for a hole in
plasterboard, just neat is adequate for me. As I said, we have a basic
difference in philosophy.

Colin Bignell

That's the trouble with you non engineers: you think its like the VW
adverts..

Engineering is design for function. The appearances only function is to
be pleasing to the purchaser or user.Why the eye don't see, the heart
don't grieve over..