Posted to uk.d-i-y
Appin Appin is offline

Default Fire extinguisher refill

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Pete Verdon wrote:
Don wrote:
"Dave" wrote

I have never understood why all extinguishers were made red.

Originally they were coloured;

Water = Signal Red
Foam = Cream
Dry powder = French Blue
Carbon dioxide = CO2 Black
Wet chemical = No F Class
Class D powder = French Blue

We know. That's why Dave was wondering why they're now all red.

(I believe it's a European harmonisation thing.)

Presumably so I can pick up a fire extinguisher and point it an
electrical fire and see the water hit it, just as it snuffs my life out.

Precisely.

They claim it's so that people can identify a fire extinguisher !

The same crazy logic which demands that there should be water fire
extinguishers available in locations where the only conceivable risk is
of an electrical fire, and now demands that the water and powder
extinguishers should be so similar that the only difference is in the
colour of the label.

Mad, mad, mad.