Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default DIY dunces?

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:23:20 +0000, Ian White

Even after the 13 amp
ring was introduced, there were at least 4 types of non compatible plugs
for that - let alone the older 2, 5 and 15amp in both two and three pins.

I wish I had kept for interest sake a plugtop I found some years ago.

Istr that it had two round pins about the same size as the old 15amp
and an a rectangular earth pin as fitted to 13 amp plugs, or possibly
it was 2 rectangular and one round.

The wonderful 'Fitall' plug could probably have faked them both.

I had a couple of Fitall plugs, and they didn't 'fit all'! They
certainly wouldn't have fitted a Wylex socket, or any of the foreign
designs.
They were a bit of a swine to assemble, with swivelling masks to let
appropriate pins pop out, and you had to almost dismantle the whole
plug to change the fuse.
When I worked for the GPO, they acknowledged the use of such plugs,
but insisted that they weren't to be used with loads of 3A, also the
earth pin hadn't to be relied upon.

--
Frank Erskine