Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default basic door latch question

coloradotrout wrote in news:9618e0ff-5065-4e23-
:

With the info posted here, I did an experiment.

The large bar is what locks the door in place into the strike plate.
The smaller bar should not fall inside the strike plate, but rather be
depressed about half-way. When it is, it prohibits the large bar from
being depressed into the door. So to answer my original question, I
think the door should fit snug just as the large bar extends into the
stike plate, and at that time, the small bar should be just behind the
large bar, but resting on the strike plate and not inside the opening
of the strike plate.

So back to my real issue. My door is not fitting properly. I think
it's hung slightly out of square as the lock side bottom is lower than
the hinge side bottom, and the crack along the lock-side is not
equally spaced. When closed, I can see daylight towards the bottom of
the lock-side edge, and when it rains I get some water coming inside.
The sweep at the bottom also rubs too much on the lock-side (as
compared to the hinge-side), and is worn down and cracked and split.

So what I really need is an education on how a properly hung door
should fit, and then how to hang the door in that way.

What kind of door is it?

If you are capable of installing a new door and the old one has just too
many issues, a new pre-hung steel door can be got for like $130. If the
frame is out of square, to properly fix it the old one may have to come
out anyway.

For 130 and a couple of bucks for shims you get new door, new frame, new
weatherstrip, new hinges, everything aligned and square (if installed
properly).

You need to make the call which is best bang for the buck.