Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Ideas for tapping round?

wrote:

I would ultimately love to use the combination drill/tap. That would
be a huge time saver. But that would at the least need the reversing
tap head. The Tapmatic ones are more money than my whole press is
worth. Has anybody ever had success with any that are a little less?

I bought an $800 Procunier CNC tapping head for
about $100 on eBay.
I suspect the TapMatics are going for even less.

If you are doing HUNDREDS of these parts, then
such tools start to make a LOT of sense! If you
haven't seen these tap drills work, you'll CRY
when you first see one do it's stuff!

Also... On the combo ones, it would seem like there would be a lot of
room to screw up. The drill portion and tap portion are obviously
working at two different speeds, so even if you were doing it with a
reverse tapping head, I would assume that theoretically you could
start the tapping portion in before the drilling portion is finished.
I'd think that using something like that would work best with
something automated, where you could control things more exactly.

Yes, it does, no question about it. But, the
distance between the drill and thread is built
into the tool. I assume you can get them with
different lengths of drill, to make sure the drill
is all the way through before picking up the feed
for the tapping.

Jon