Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bath waste

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I bought a plastic bath waste from Screwfix (I didn't realise it was
plastic at the time, IIRC the catalogue is a bit misleading).
Unfortunately I screwed it too tight and the plastic cracked and the
bath leaked.

So I bought another and screwed it loosely; so loosely it leaked again

So I've now bought a metal waste from BES, so that this cannot break
if I overtighten it. The problem is that it does not come with
instructions, nor can BES supply any. They gave me the manufacturer's
email but they haven't replied.

It is a slotted metal waste that obviously drops through the plughole
but there is a plastic "thing" that fits around the waste under the
bath. This covers the slot, so that the overfow can be connected. The
only way I can describe the plastic "thing" is to say it is like a
circular one-way conduit box: a circle with a bit extending, onto
which the overflow pipe is connected.

I cannot see how I make this plastic thing make a watertight seal.
there don't seem to be enough washers in the kit. There is also a
rigid "washer", a donought of black plastic that is a few millimetres
thick and I can't see the point of that? Surely a washer should be
flexible; a thick, rigid washer will not make a watertight seal.

Can anyone help me?

welcome to the world of crap bath fittings.

generally there is a rigid washer and a flexible rubber one on most
fittings. Perhaps you have a part missing. ts fairly common in DIY sheds
for people to nick parts they hace broken out of the bxes on the shelves ;-)

But in the end, most of thee cheap fittings are crap anyway: the answer
is a tube of silicone sealer. Smear every surface that needs to be
watertight with it, screw up finger tight, remove surplus, wait 24 hours
and then tighten fairly hard.

Thanks.