Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY dunces?

John Rumm wrote:
chris French wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes
"Don" wrote in message

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Millions-men
-idea-rewire-plug-change-lightbulb.html

It looks as if there's going to be a boom time for the 'Professional
Handymen' then.

Don.
In days gone by you used to have to fit a plug to every electrical
appliance that you bought, so many people could do this.

Today nearly all (all?) appliance come with a plug so knowing how to
fit one is hardly an essential skill..

Indeed, I recently rewired a plug (it was a flex being passed through
a hole) but I can't remember the last time I did it before that.

IIRC, Kids to get taught it at school as part of science, but unless
it's a skill you get to use occasionally I can see how you would
forget the details

Odd to think it was considered sensible to sell things without a plug.

If you were a manufacturer selling the same product all over europe it
probably made lots of sense!

as also it did in this country when there were one of four possible
plugs that might need to be fitted.