Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Brown Doug Brown is offline

Default [OT?] Going away for the holidays. Good idea to turn the main water valve in the house off?

termtests wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:56:36 -0500, willshak
wrote:

on 12/16/2008 12:09 AM termtests said the following:
Thanks so much for your quick and very detailed reply. Truly
appreciate it. I'll print it out and follow the instructions
accordingly.

But I aplogize for this, but I'm afraid I left out one bit of
information about my house which might have some bearing on what
should be done before I leave for my holidays.

I forgot to mention that I have in-floor/radiant floor heating system
in my basement concrete floor that has plastic pipes with hot water
running through them.

Is your basement below ground and the floor below frost level? If so,
the floor will not get below freezing temps so it should be OK, even if
it shut off.

OK, that's good to know. Thanks.

If you are going to be away from home during "the normal heating season",
you really should check with your insurance agent/broker to see what, if
anything, you need to do to ensure that your insurance remains valid. Often
there are requirements that a competent adult check the house once a day or
once every few days during the normal heating season. If this is not done
and there is a loss, it may not be covered.