Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default electromagnetic chuck question

Randy wrote:

Anyone out there ever work on or service a mag-chuck? I just won a
chuck on ebay, 8 x 24 for my grinder? seller states it plugs right
into the wall. Every one I've seen uses a control box. Can I build
my own? Anyone have a schematic?

Anyone know what happened to Hitachi? All my seaches come up with
nothing as far as a chuck goes.

Hitachi model # HU-824

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

The chuck runs on DC you have AC coming out the wall.
I've had good luck with Walker company for power supplies.

http://www.walkermagnet.com/products...-services.html

You could make your own too, the rating for the chuck voltage is usually
on the data plate of the magnet. It is nice to be able to demagnetize
the part by feeding ac into the magnet and then gradually decrease the
voltage, or on some power units they reverse the polarity of the dc as
they slowly ramp down the voltage. in an emergency, a variac and a
bridge diode block will work.

Make sure the chuck is good before you order a power supply. Hook it to
a 12 v car battery and see if it magnetizes the chuck and doesn't draw
too much current

John