Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default DIY dunces?

Don wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
Don wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lightbulb.html

It looks as if there's going to be a boom time for the 'Professional
Handymen' then.

A prime example of gutter press IMHO. The first photo with the actor
set up for the photo rather than doing the job using a powered
screwdriver! The second including all the failings that other
posters have referred to. Sadly, though both my kids in their early to
late 20s have seen me
change fuses, install sockets, remove light fittings, do Prat P
jobs, etc. with no disaster to date (!), they do not have a go
themselves, aided by the Elfin safety crew. Also, as alluded to by
another poster, all purchased equipment comes with effectively
sealed plugs so that they are like black boxes under the bonnet.

Though having seen me and aided me to change engines and gearboxes,
radiators, brakes, et al. in cars in their younger days, if a fault
appears, it's off to the commercial garage!

Journalists using stats to such good effect for those that do not
read behind the words. It's no wonder that journalists have such a
bad reputation. Sorry, I do not read such rags and having just come
across such tripe, I'm a mite wound up by the tosh. Is there some
way we can persuade folk not to look at (and possibly for the
limited literate few) assist them into a more informed existence?

As Benjamin Disraeli said, "Lies, damned lies, and statistics".

sadly so and the Gubbermint this week regarding injuries to police at a
proposed power station development in Kent!