Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default DIY dunces?

In message , Michael Chare
writes
"Don" wrote in message

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Millions-men
-idea-rewire-plug-change-lightbulb.html

It looks as if there's going to be a boom time for the 'Professional
Handymen' then.

Don.

In days gone by you used to have to fit a plug to every electrical
appliance that you bought, so many people could do this.

Today nearly all (all?) appliance come with a plug so knowing how to
fit one is hardly an essential skill..

Indeed, I recently rewired a plug (it was a flex being passed through a
hole) but I can't remember the last time I did it before that.

IIRC, Kids to get taught it at school as part of science, but unless
it's a skill you get to use occasionally I can see how you would forget
the details

Odd to think it was considered sensible to sell things without a plug.
--
Chris French