Dave Plowman

Default toilet cistern overflow

In article ,
Douglas Sey wrote:
I have a low level toilet cistern, which has never been any bother until
just the other day. For some strange reason the level within the cistern
is now rising too high and makes an exit out of the overflow pipe, which
unfortunately is leaking from a small joint. What is likely to be
causing the water to be rising about an 2 centimetres higher than it
ever did before. And if I could manage to stem the leak from this
overflow pipe with some tcp tape, should I not worry about the water
level?

The overflow is there for just such a fault where the 'ball valve'
assembly has failed in some way, but the reason for this failure should be
fixed otherwise you're simply wasting water.

Torbeck valves - they are the small plastic ones - can often respond to a
careful clean especially in a hard water area, or replace the diaphragm if
punctured. The older type with a large ball valve will probably need a new
washer. Both will require the water turned off to fix, but are pretty
straightforward otherwise.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW 12