Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default 8' long rip on TS

"Upscale" wrote in message

"dadiOH" wrote in message
I envy you that. It just wouldn't start straight for me. The long
leverage made it especially easy to over correct. (It turned out to
be pretty manageable just by adding some support at the far end,
behind me.

It sounds like you're having trouble sliding the wood and that it's not
travelling past the blade smoothly. If you were cutting a simple piece of
pine, does it cut smoothly, without burning? If not, then you likely have
blade/fence alignment problem. If that's not the case then it's likely
friction from your support surfaces.

The saw cuts fine. The fence was trued to less than .001 its entire length,
and the top freshly waxed. The saw was ready.

I made a dry run with the blade down to see what I was in for, and found I
couldn't keep the edge on the fence. Extending the fence forward as dadOH
suggested likely would have solved it, or helped quite a bit. Once it had
about somewhat more than 2 feet of contact, I had no trouble keeping it on
the fence. The problem was getting it started and moving straight. Even with
some practice, it weaved and bobbed enough to, if it didn't kick back
outright, leave divots and burns.

For any infeed/outfeed support that you're using, what kind of surfaces do
they have? For example, if you're trying to slide the plywood onto another
support that is plywood, then you're going to get some friction causing
difficulty cutting. Either hardboard, or better yet, some type of melamine
surface are about as smooth as you're going to get.

The outfeed is the router table, also freshly made slicker than snot for the
occasion. The trouble was the infeed. It needed more support, which I solved
for the moment by stacking and clamping some cutoffs on the Workmate. It
supported the last 2 feet or so, behind me, while I worked as normal from
right at the table. That worked out pretty well, and was all the help I
needed. In the future, I'll look at making or buying a roller stand, or look
at Board Buddies. Maybe just focusing on walking a straight line while
pushing would have worked, but I wasn't encouraged by the first few tries.