Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Water heater expansion tank pressure question

On Dec 15, 6:42*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:35:33 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

wrote:
On Dec 14, 10:02*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
best solution would be to regulate the house down a bit. *but to answer your
question, yes, just air the tank to 80 psi with the water off and the lines
discharged.

" wrote in message

I am replacing my water heater expansion tank. It is leaking at the
weld (piece of carp). Anyway my question assumes the following:

H2O pressure measured at hose bib: 80 PSI
System pressure recommended by expansion tank mfr: 60 PSI
New tank max PSI: 100

My questions:
Do I just add more air to get to 80 PSI?
Is a small electric tire compressor ok or must it be a hand/tire pump?

TIA

Rob

Yes I didnt catch he was running 80 PSI already. I was too interested
in the fact he messed with the pre-charge and what he had done to it.
I am betting he is working straight off the curb and has no PRV.or
backflow preventer. If these things are selected properly to start
with you shouldnt have to do anything but plumb them in. The HD and
LOWES has a pamplet you can get to help you select the right one. The
local mom and pop store will also loan you a pressure guage, deposit
required of course.

Jimmie

Jimmie,
What is it that is so hard for you to understand that the tank does
NOT come preset to the pressure that YOU need for it in YOUR home?
The word "pre-charged" on the tank ONLY means that it has SOME air in
it ...........as in..........ITS NOT EMPTY! To be properly installed
the tank MUST be set to the same air pressure as the water pressure.
Its REALLY that simple. Why is it you cant seem to get that through
your noggin? Stop telling people stupid **** that you dont know. YOU
ARE WRONG! Face it. You ****ed up. Now admit it. You are a back yard
shade tree mechanic wanna be and you dont know what you are talking
about. Home Depot and Lowes......??!! hehe. Yeah, now there is a
source for some real professional advice. Have you ever seen one
professional in there? Nope. Most all of them are old retired guys
that have nothing better to do. Not knocking the old guys but they
arent pros. Stop being so hard headed and stupid.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

First per manufactures info they DO come precharged to about 40 PSI,
anyone who wants to google around the manufacturers sites can find
this out.secondly I didnt say a damned thing about reccomendations
from people who work at any of the mentioned stores. If Bubba was
wrong on this he probably doesnt know diddly about anything.
Yep I see plenty of the pros in there because they dont want to have
to drive 30 miles to a specialty store.
Just check for excessively high pressure and stick the thing in. After
all how many people do you think are going to check the pressure on a
regular basis to make sure nothing has changed