Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default 8' long rip on TS

MikeWhy wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
MikeWhy wrote:
The concept seemed simple enough, and it didn't occur to me that I
had never tried cutting anything this long before. I have to cut
some 8' sheets of plywood the long way on the TS.

Get/make outfeed support for both the cut and offcut. Infeed
support is good as well.

Hold the plywood at the back left corner. I like to have one hand
on the back and one on the left side. Start the cut, applying
pressure towards the front right corner to keep the board against
the fence. Once you get fast the first few feet, move directly
behind the sheet and push it through.

I envy you that. It just wouldn't start straight for me. The long
leverage made it especially easy to over correct. (It turned out to
be pretty manageable just by adding some support at the far end,
behind me.

It would be even more manageable if you extended the fence. Consider: you
have a foot or so of fence between the infeed side of the table and blade;
that means you have seven feet or so of heavy, hard to manage plywood
hanging off the end. Even if it were totally supported it would be easy to
wobble off the fence. If you clamp a piece of straight 2x4 to the fence so
that it is hanging off the infeed side by two feet you now have three feet
of initial contact area instead of one.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...