Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default Engine in John Deere Snow Thrower 522 Cannot Run without Choke

On Dec 15, 1:24*pm, wrote:
On Dec 14, 3:21*pm, Jay Chan wrote:

What is going on here?

You are seeing the engine's GOVERNOR in action. The governor senses
load on the engine, and opens and closes the throttle to maintain a
constant RPM.

When the RPM goes up, the governor closes the throttle.
When the RPM goes down, the governor opens the throttle.

It will run at "full speed" with the throttle 80% closed if you are
not blowing snow. When you start pushing through a snow bank, the
throttle opens up to wide open.

Is the carburetor needed to be cleaned one more time?

Probably. Some things need to be cleaned again, and it needs to be
reassembled correctly. From the sounds of it, the engine is not
getting enough fuel. That's why you have to choke it. Choke reduces
the amount of air coming in and brings the air/fuel mixture back into
balance.

Pay specific attention to the float, needle valve, and seat.

Thanks for the suggestion. You are right about the engine is not
getting enough fuel and the mixing needle needs to be adjusted. As
mentioned in my other post, after I have turned the mixing needle an
additional 1/2 turn more open than what the manufacturer suggested, I
can keep the choke fully opened and the engine will not stop. Seem
like this is the way to send enough fuel to the engine. Still, as
mentioned in my other post, the throttle valve is somehow closed even
though the engine is under load and the speed lever is set at high
speed.

Jay Chan