Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Batteries - what type?

hr(bob) wrote:
On Dec 15, 4:56 pm, James Sweet wrote:
Michael Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:50:48 -0800, James Sweet wrote:
Michael Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:26:35 -0500, Ernie Willson wrote:
My experience is that Ni-Cd's are virtually worthless (don't hold enough
charge). I have no experience with lithium ones. I'd recommend the NiMH's
Even if the charger is not designed for NiMH'S? Each type has its own
charging requirements. A few chargers will charge multiple types, however,
it is highly unlikely the charger for these special lights will accept
multiple types of batteries. Putting the wrong type in will likely cause a
fire.
HTH,
These lights use a simple "dumb charger", that is the charge current is
limited by a resistor. NiMH and NiCD are close enough electrically that
they are interchangeable in most situations. They will undoubtedly
withstand a higher charge rate than the light provides, but that isn't
an issue. Batteries with a higher mAh rating will take correspondingly
longer to charge, but with something that is plugged in all the time
that isn't really an issue.
It will not cause a fire.
Okay, will you pay for damages if it causes a fire? When you personally
sign responsibility for liability for any damages incurred, then I'd listen
to you, maybe.

Please explain how it will cause a fire.

If you don't want to listen to me that's fine, my advice is free. If
liability is a concern, don't replace the battery at all, throw away the
light and buy a new one.- Hide quoted text -

Everything James Sweet has written on the battery question is 100%
correct, for my 2 Cents opinion, and I have worked with Nicads since
back in the late 1950's when we at Bell Labs were experimenting with
them for backup power for electronic switching systems for the Bell
System in place of the lead-acid batteries then in use, because of the
hazards of using the lead-acid cells. Some of those early nicads
actually lasted for 25 years, but of course they were treated
carefully as far as charging current and they used much higher quality
chemistry than the cheap cells you generally buy these days.,

I always tell people, if they want to know
about backup battery power, talk to the guys
who work on the backup batteries for the phone
company. I don't think anyone has more knowhow
when it comes to the care and feeding of lead
acid cells.

TDD