Posted to alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Batteries - what type?

SteveB wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have three "power-off" lights that are dead because the batteries have
died. They take two AA batteries which I want to replace. Which type
would be the best - Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, or Nickel Metal Hydride?
They would be plugged in and constantly charging until the power goes
off.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

You are betting your life and the lives of others on these lights
functioning. Don't accept any half baked ideas you might get here. Read
and follow the manual.

In my life, there has been many an item that specifically said what battery
to use and which not to use. I have ignored or just not read these
statements. They weren't things, though, that were life-saving devices, so
my poor reading skills didn't make a very big difference.

This can make the difference in life and death. Be sure.

PERIOD.

Steve

Talk about overly dramatic. These aren't built in emergency lighting in
a commercial building, but rather cheap plug in power outage lights that
you can buy in drugstores. They are not lifesaving devices any more so
than a dollar store flashlight tucked in the nightstand. Manual? They
might have had some instructions for use on the back of the package, if
you're lucky, but none of mine ever said anything about the battery, it
wasn't even meant to be user replaceable and weren't even name brand,
just cheap generic AA NiCDs. I've had a couple similar lights, they
seemed like a good idea and were handy at times, but hardly fail safe,
and half the time they turned out to be broken by the time they were
needed. Now I just keep flashlights stashed in convenient locations.