Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Going away for the holidays. Good idea to turn the main watervalve in the house off?

On Dec 15, 3:25*pm, James Sweet wrote:
termtests wrote:
We're going through a nasty cold spell right now (-13F/-25C to
-22F/-30C) and it's expected to last for quite a while yet. *And my
coworker suggested that I turn the main water valve off in the house
before I leave in a couple of days for a vacation.

I will still have my furnace running when we leave for vacation, but I
plan on having it maintain a temperature of 60F/15C while we're away.

Is turning the main off still a good idea? *Also, should the furnace
be set at a little higher temperature while we're away when taking the
outside temperature into account? *Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Turning the water off won't hurt. Open a tap to drain the water out as well.

I would turn the furnace down to 45-50 if the thermostat will go that
low. Unless you have pets staying in the house, there's no reason to
keep it warmer than that, you just don't want pipes freezing.

turn the heat to the water heater off (turn the breaker off if
electric; turn the gas control to "pilot" if gas) and open the lowest
faucet if you shut the water off. I would recommend doing this if you
are going to be gone for more than a day or two. I second the advice
to lower the thermostat, no need to heat the house to more than 50-55
degrees if nobody's going to be in it.

nate