Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Batteries - what type?

"James Sweet" wrote in message
---MIKE--- wrote:
I have three "power-off" lights that are dead because the batteries have
died. They take two AA batteries which I want to replace. Which type
would be the best - Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, or Nickel Metal Hydride?
They would be plugged in and constantly charging until the power goes
off.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Either NiCD or NiMH will be fine, since the things are always plugged in,
get the highest capacity cells you can find. Charge time and self
discharge rate are not really important. Any reputable brand should be
fine.

No one has mentioned the memory effect of NiCd batteries. They should be
pretty well discharged before recharging because if you don't, they develop
a memory, and will not fully charge. NiMH do not, and you can charge them
even if you have only used them a little. It is better to discharge them
more to get a better recharge on them, but they do not have nearly the
memory effect of a NiCd.

James, you need to have your facts straight before stating things as Gospel.
Charge time not important? BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAA! That's rich.

Steve