Posted to alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Batteries - what type?

Jim Yanik wrote:
Ernie Willson wrote in
:

My experience is that Ni-Cd's are virtually worthless (don't hold enough
charge). I have no experience with lithium ones. I'd recommend the NiMH's

HTH,

EJ in NJ
---MIKE--- wrote:
I have three "power-off" lights that are dead because the batteries have
died. They take two AA batteries which I want to replace. Which type
would be the best - Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, or Nickel Metal Hydride?
They would be plugged in and constantly charging until the power goes
off.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

if you examine Digi-Key's catalog,there are NiCd cells specifically made
for continous charging.

NiMHs require monitored charging.

Monitored charging is better for any battery, but not required. My cheap
cordless phones all continuously charge the batteries, and they came
with NiMH AAAs. The key is to charge at a low enough current, if you
fast charge either continuously they will vent and fail early, but a
gentle trickle charge is fine. These cheap emergency lights don't come
with anything special, they come with the cheapest Chinese NiCD cells
available and virtually anything you find on the shelves will be an
improvement.