Posted to alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Batteries - what type?

Michael Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:26:35 -0500, Ernie Willson wrote:

My experience is that Ni-Cd's are virtually worthless (don't hold enough
charge). I have no experience with lithium ones. I'd recommend the NiMH's

Even if the charger is not designed for NiMH'S? Each type has its own
charging requirements. A few chargers will charge multiple types, however,
it is highly unlikely the charger for these special lights will accept
multiple types of batteries. Putting the wrong type in will likely cause a
fire.

HTH,

These lights use a simple "dumb charger", that is the charge current is
limited by a resistor. NiMH and NiCD are close enough electrically that
they are interchangeable in most situations. They will undoubtedly
withstand a higher charge rate than the light provides, but that isn't
an issue. Batteries with a higher mAh rating will take correspondingly
longer to charge, but with something that is plugged in all the time
that isn't really an issue.

It will not cause a fire.