Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Michael Moore gets it right sometimes.

Rusty wrote:
How are unions the problem? Gm I believe has some of the best productivity
levels in the auto industry.It's about a liveable wage ,you can always find
someone to do it cheaper. If that ceo that ran GM into the ground is worth
15 million a year. I'm sure you or I could run GM into the bankruptcy for
allot less.

You are conveniently ignoring the elephant in the room. GM
productivity is high because of very high levels of automation,
not because the union 'workers' are working harder. Moreover,
GM is stuck paying ridiculous benefits that no other working
group in America enjoys. Among these are - for some classes
of UAW members - being paid full salary and benefits forever
after being laid off. This is not a living wage, it is
insanity. More to the point, some bolt tightener in a factory
isn't worth something in the area of $80/hr (depending whose
numbers are accurate) when you take into account base and
benefits.

I've seen more than one company ruined by union greed.
Fortunately, this time, the UAW has their fellow Communists
running the congress and will likely get a "UAW Bailout" bill
passed in some form with minimal concessions on their part.
Instead of just running the companies into the ground, the UAW
will simply waddle up to the public trough like all the other
pigs and demand the rest of us maintain their quality of life.
The problem is, with all the swine at the trough, just who is
going to be left to actually produce new wealth so the old, lazy
pigs (the execs, the unions, the financial companies, the
individuals in excessive debt ...) can continue to eat for
"free"?????

P.S. The CEO didn't run GM into the ground, the UAW did. The
CEO just didn't do his job and the tell the union to go
scratch. The best part of all this may be that these
jobs will be lost forever and end up in China or
Indonesia. I'd love to see the UAW idiots take on the
Chinese government...

"Leon" wrote in message
"Rusty" wrote in message
If unions go down you can count on 10$ an hour as a high wage for the
middle class as the greedy 5% scoop up all the easy cash.

I would sure like to see if that turns out to be ture or not.

If it turns out to be true, the unions will be back but for now the unions
are a big part of the problem. I't probably not a bad thing to get paid
for your actual worth.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/