Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default safety of AC adapaters

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:44:25 -0800, James Sweet
wrote:

I've looked inside a bunch of them, and I don't believe all have
fusible links.

Even if they all did, you ignore my point about the fuse (or fusible
link) being only on one end of the coil, on one prong of the plug, and
how easy it is to plug that prong into the neutral and the unfused
prong into the hot slot.

As I said, they use class II transformers, the primary winding itself is
the fuse in most of them, it is hair thin wire. These windings are on
separate plastic bobbins over the iron core, and the windings are
themselves insulated wire. The chances of somehow getting 120V on the
output are so tiny that they are for all intents and purposes zero. You

Yes. I saw your answer and I appreciated it. But I'd already told
HeyBub that because of him I had one less thing to worry about, so I
didn't reply to later posts that said similar things to HeyBub's.
Even though your reply was more detailed. I hope I was not rude.

put your life on the line every time you get into a car, plane, or ship,
or even walk out your front door. There are so many daily activities and
items that are orders or magnitude more likely to hurt you than a
transformer plug that it is not even worth thinking about and this is
just paranoia.

If you are really worried about electrical safety in your house, replace

I'm not worried at all. I'm debating Tony and Twayne to try to
resolve details of what they said, but it's already clear to me that
the claim in the FAQ I saw was justified, that their adapter was safe.

I sort of know the inventor/maker of the product, and I was concerned
about his forthrightness or naivete, whichever applied. I really
wasn't concerned about my personal safety at all. I will still leave
my phone machine adapter plugged in all the time, and the one for the
cordless phone, and I've provided switches for some but that is only
to save electicity and not because I'm worried about either fire or
electrocuting myself.

all the receptacles that almost certainly use the spring loaded backwire
terminals I've been complaining about lately. Install AFCI breakers on
all the circuits, inspect the condition of light fixtures regularly for
damaged sockets or burned wires, those are all things that really can
and do cause shocks and fires.