Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Wall Pass-Through

HeyBub wrote:

wrote:

A neighbor I once has was forced to cover the bottom of the gutter
downspouts with wire mesh. His wife was convinced that mice could
use the
downspout as some sort of shaft to reach the roof. (What the mice
would do
on the roof was never fully explained.)

Mice do not use doors or doggie entrances.

Raccoons, armadillos, badgers, bobcats, wolverines, bats, coyotes,
beavers,
exploring cats, and very large snakes - a different matter
altogether.- Hide quoted text -

mice moved into the attic of my moms old home, thru cracks in the
soffit and fascia.

they can climb really well

I'll defer to your experience on this subject, but I suggest a mouse can't
climb the inside of a downspout gutter worth squat. Somehow I'm reminded of
Samuel Johnson's observation: "A woman in the pulpit is like a dog raised up
on it's hinder legs. It is not surprising that it does it poorly; what is
surprising is that it would want to do so at all."

I've seen rats climb UP two-story downspouts of our condo. I had heard
noises like animals a couple of
times, because the downspouts are right next to our patio. Couldn't
imagine what it could be in the
downspout until one day when I saw a rat run from the hedge to the
opening of the downspout and heard him go up. We have
palms, with lots of berries, that overhang the roof if not kept trimmed
- yummy food supply.