Posted to alt.home.repair

Default safety of AC adapaters

On Dec 14, 1:06*pm, James Sweet wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:43:58 -0500, mm
wrote:

I was looking at an FAQ for some small appliance that runs or
recharges from an AC adapter, a black box that plugs into the AC and
lowers the voltage to 12 or less, and maybe changes it to DC.

And it said this was safe, and I too have been assuming these were
safe, but...

Has anyone heard of a short in one of these adapters that sent 110
volts to the thing that was supposed to charge or run off the
adapter???

That would be unsafe, if it happens.

These little DC transformers can overheat. *Make sure there is
adequate ventilation all around them. * *Replace transformers that
have been running 10+ years.

Why? I have plenty of them that are older than that, they don't really
wear out.- Hide quoted text -

I have some wall-warts that are 20+ years old and they still work ok
when I pull them out of my junk transformer box for some odd project.
But, I treat them reasonbly carefully. The odds on a UL or CSA
approved unit giving 120 V (Assuming in the USA or Canada) shock is
very unlikely, unless the output wire is caught between the wall
outlet and the wall-wart itself.