Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Wall Pass-Through

Take a piece of 4" or 3" plumbing drainage pipe add a threaded female
fitting on both ends, screw in a clean-out plug into each threaded end. Make
it the same length as the wall's thickness so only the plugs show inside and
outside and affix into the wall. You can paint the plugs to match your
decor, just don't get paint in the threads. To use remove the plugs and pass
cables, hoses etc., through the openings. Stuff something the mice don't
like around the cables while the plugs are out.

Better, actually wire and plumb a permanent supply pedestal by the trailer
as suggested earlier.

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Jim Redelfs wrote:

My camping trailer has a nice (if cheap), through-the-wall, capped
entry/exit/pass-through for the power cord.

How should I make something like this for my house?

I occasionally run a hose from our grade-level laundry room, out the
attached garage entry door, to my RV or power washer. During this time,
the door is ajar for quite a while. I am concerned about vulnerability
to mouse incursion during this process.

Until now, I have used the doggie door as temporary pass-through for the
hose I use to pump-out the RV's holding tanks. This, too, opened our
home to potential mouse incursion. Now the dog is gone and the doggie
door is probably next.

A nice, easily "cap-able" for security and insulation, pass-through
would also work for an extension cord from a portable generator running
outside. I believe a cap like that found on the exterior of my RV, on
BOTH sides of my unfinished utility room wall, wouldn't be too unsightly.

When Qwest build a huge addition onto the Central Office nearby, they
replaced the standby plant with a HUGE generator. It was a total
rework. The generator contractor had pass-through, 4-inch diameter
tubes built through the brick-facaded structure. Through these
elevated, probably 12-inch long tubes, were run the cables that ran from
the trailered, dummy load outside, to the new generator installation
inside. This, I was told, enabled fine-tuning the new system.

Having such a portal at home would help with a couple of things I do
occasionally. One could keep the tube stuffed with old socks as
insulation during the lengthy periods of non-use. Ideas? TIA.
--

JR

Install a proper support pedestal for your camper, with power and fresh
water connections and an adjacent sewer connection if you can.

As for mouse infiltration, don't worry about that, there are already a
dozen other openings they can get in through.