Posted to uk.d-i-y
john john is offline

Default Damp loft

"Steve Bilton" wrote in message
I went up into the loft yesterday to search out the Christmas Decs,
and discovered that the roofing felt on the underside of the roofing
tiles has condensation on it - to the extent that there is a line of
drips along the loft floor boards where the condensation has dripped.

The loft is well insulated with about 8" of rockwool, except where the
loft boards are, where there is about 4" underneath the boards. The
soffits were replaced last year with ventilated soffits and I can see
light at the edges of the roof when in the loft with the lights off,
and the air bricks in the gable walls are clear - free from
blockage/obstruction.

What do I need to do to stop the condensation? The only source of warm
air I can think of is from the loft hatch which has draught excluder
around it as it can't be insulated due to the loft ladder.

Do I need to improve the air flow? If so, how? or are there other
things that I need to do?

Ta

Steve

More ventilation required.

I have been to a number of properties,one just occupied for three months
where the wardrobes are mouldy/ back of leather suite mouldy. Client put a
dehumidifier in and got 6 pints of water from the bedroom in one day. To
solve problem open the windows and put the heating on !
The country has gone made with insulation insulation insulation and this is
the result ! Not to mention plastic windows and no open fireplaces.