Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Downlights - plasterboard cut outs

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"steveybar" wrote in message
I'm installing around x10 (Aurora - 12v - fire protected) Downlights
in my Kitchen's plasterboard ceiling.

The plasterboard's hole cut out diameter is going to be 85 mm for each
downlight - what is the best way to make these cut outs?
I have a fly-cutter with a big dish under it that catches all the
rubbish. Unlike a hole saw, you can set the diameter to exactly what
you want. However, fly cutters in power tools are potentially quite
dangerous. If you are only cutting plasterboard, a hand drill will be
adequate and will give you more control over the cut.

Colin Bignell
Really, Ive done them with a 'kitchen devil' knife.

They don't have to even be neat. the fitting covers well....
There we have a basic difference in philosophjy. I don't think that
something not being visible is a reason not to do it neatly.

Agreed, but its a definite reason not to get ultra prissy about it.

Are you the sort of man who goes over the building site before the
suspended floors go in, with a black bag, picking up all the half bricks,
screws and mortar blobs, and getting the lads to sweep the soil clean and
level it with a whacker?

Only if I were the one responsible for that part of the job.

Sorry, I don't like a mess either, but the only layer that gets the
perfection treatment is decoration..and visible joinery.

It is a matter of pride in my workmanship. I would know if it had not been
done right, even if it doesn't show.

Well that is a matter of equating 'neat' with 'right' . Not being a
christian, 'cleanliness and godliness' dont feature.

A an engineer, the rightness of a structure is that it performs its
function adequately. Neatness may or may nor feature there. Only if its
likley to be actually inspected or maintained does it matter in my
book..a rats nest of cables works, but a neat array of cable looms
inspires confidence. But if you never see it, the rats nest may be just
as good. And if its CHEAPER its BETTER engineering solution.

Engineering about being the 'art of doing for sixpence, what any damn
fool can do for a quid'
;-)

Colin Bignell