Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default safety of AC adapaters

mm wrote:
I was looking at an FAQ for some small appliance that runs or
recharges from an AC adapter, a black box that plugs into the AC and
lowers the voltage to 12 or less, and maybe changes it to DC.

And it said this was safe, and I too have been assuming these were
safe, but...

Has anyone heard of a short in one of these adapters that sent 110
volts to the thing that was supposed to charge or run off the
adapter???

That would be unsafe, if it happens.

Hi,
If you think like that nothing electrical is safe. Before it happens
fuse will blow inside or something will pop cutting off power, also
whatever the wall wart is feeding, that device has a fuse and reverse
polarity protector, etc. built in for safety. So now what do you say?