Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Doug is offline

Default Vented versus vent-free gas logs??

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:49:09 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Just a citizen . . . wrote:
We have a standard fireplace with a flue - we've never used in 5 years we've
lived in this house - now my girlfriend wants gas logs after our friends got
them - "they look so cozy" - so now I'm looking at the gas log sets - the
vent free sets provide decent heat AND I don't have to worry about
remembering to open and close the flue - the vented sets probably run more
heat up the flue than they provide in the room AND I have to open and close
the flue.

Pricing looks similar - why not go with the vent-free logs? Thanks!

Hmmm,
What I have is direct vent gas fire place with temp. controlled fan.
Vent free? How can anything burn w/o venting?

Do a Google search.
You'll find many vent free gas logs and space heaters these days.
Even Rinnai is now selling them.

They have an oxygen depletion sensor and per lab tests, they don't
emit hazardous levels of CO, NOX or even water vapor. The water vapor
they emit is probably beneficial in winter.

Now, I'll admit that if you have a REALLY tight new home, you might
have some problems. Another problem would be putting an oversized vent
free heater in bathrooms and bedrooms. The building codes in my area
prohibit using a vent free heater of over 10,000BTU/hr in bedrooms or
baths.The idea is that there might not be enough make up air for the
combustion rate.

Doug